Tuesday, March 20, 2012
The vernal (spring) equinox is a time of balance. The earth is halfway between the longest day and longest night of the year. It is neither too hot, nor too cold. The snow and ice have melted away. Shoots of tender green begin to poke through the soil. For centuries this day was celebrated by ancient folk with festivals rejoicing that winter had ended.
Many Thanks to John for a wonderful review!
Please visit the link above for a review of Sororia Botanical Perfumes and enter the Draw!
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
The Palm Oil Controversy
Below is a copy of an email I received a few weeks ago that got me to thinking......I called my supplier from which I purchase organic "sustainable" palm oil and asked him for some details re: where it is processed etc. He was not able to give me any details but assured me he would email me the information. I am still waiting.
~ I am aware that your products contain palm oil. I understand, therefore, that it is likely that the oil contained in this product is palm oil. I am very concerned about the use of unsustainable palm oil as it contributes to the destruction of some of the world's most bio-diverse rainforest, the near extinction of numerous animal species, threatens livelihoods and significantly contributes to climate change. As palm oil is high in saturated fat, it also presents a significant health risk. The WHO recently found over-consumption of saturated fat is linked to chronic diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, cancers, diabetes and obesity. Chronic diseases are the cause of approximately 59% of global deaths per year.Please help to take action on this. It is your responsibility as a corporate citizen. I would appreciate it if you could answer the following questions:
1. Which of your products contain palm oil?
2. How is it labelled?
3. Would you be prepared to label it as palm oil?
4. Are you in a position to verify the country of origin of this oil?
5. Are you able to verify whether the oil comes from sustainable sources, including providing details of the importer, wholesaler and plantations involved in your supply chain?
6. Can you be sure that these companies are not also involved in oil palm plantation expansion elsewhere?
7. Would you be prepared to look for an alternative oil which is less damaging to health and the environment?
8. Are you a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)?Although your palm oil supplier may be a member of the RSPO, this in no way guarantees that the palm oil is being produced sustainably.
This needs to be demanded NOW. The situation for orangutans and our world's climate is URGENT. I and the orangutans would appreciate your help.
Concerned citizens of the environment
This week I made a soap that is palm free (substituted soy oil without additives) but unfortunately not organic...yet. The soap is unscented (I didn't want to use essential oils if the formula didn't work) but still contains the wonderful organic coconut milk that I use in all my soaps. I just cut the bars and set them to cure. Looks pretty good I must say.......the real test will be how well it lathers :) I will let you know in 4 weeks!